Sunday, January 3, 2010

Mapping Melbourne

Melbourne and I have become friends. I find it very similar to San Fran in a variety of ways. From the laid back vibe of the city-dwellers, to the random streets and rather grungy look of a well-loved city. I have now been here 3 months and have had the pleasure to experience some greats things/places during my time here. Having a job in the city certainly allowed me to meet more people and experience a little more than I may have had I have been stuck out in the western suburbs.
There are a few things and places I have discovered with the help of some locals and new friends that will remain in my heart well after I have left (the places and the friends that is):
1. Madame Brussels. A jug of Pimms, or Gin with a refreshing blend of citrus's, cucumbers and elderflowers...did I mention each jug is only $30? AND you get to pretend you drinking with Alice and the Mad Hatter?!
http://images.theage.com.au/2009/01/27/360940/420-Madame-Brussels-420x0.jpg

2. Grind in the City. Take a stroll down Centre Place adjacent to DeGraves (second favorite street after Centre Place for coffee/lunch) and find my fav "local" coffee (My local friend banned me from Starbucks, I didn't complain too much after I found this place) $2.50 gets you a latte, with soy....for no extra cost..I was sold.
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3018/2627352655_81f216b947.jpg?v=0
While I'm on the subject, Cafe N0.5 makes the most mean panini with pumpkin, feta, pesto and rocket leaves. $6.50. Makes my heart skip a beat just thinking about it.

3. Bookbinders Design on Elizabeth and Bourke. Purely heaven for anyone who loves organizing and color as much as I do. And a fresh notebook. I got my boyfriend's Christmas gift from here.

The craftsmanship and quality of these books are just incredible.


4. Boost Smoothies and Lord of the Fries (the whole city). Both Australian-owned chains and both extremely popular around Melbourne and I know exactly why. I have filled up my Boost card with my fair share of Banana Buzz Smoothies with soy and indulged in 1 too many mini burgers on the train ride home from work. At $6 a smoothie and $2.95 a mini burger I can't really complain. Especially since Lord of the Fries is a completely vegetarian/vegan burger joint with locations in the most convenient of locations. And their burgers are truly to die for.
The Business

Those are some of my favorite and top choices for Melbourne so far. I will definitely be adding more to my list. And I have many places to post about outside of just the CBD. I only have 3 months left so stay updated for many more travel posts and more designs posts to be coming soon!
Happy 2010!

No comments:

Post a Comment